The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Water Resource Engineer
Department: Facilities & Projects Management
Reports to: Director, Facilities & Projects Management
Oversees whom: All Water Resource Team Members
Summary of Position
- The Water Resources Engineer is responsible for managing and maintaining a wide range of technical and non-technical duties including the role of supplying, managing, and maintaining clean water and sewage/wastewater services and preventing flood damages.
Detailed Listing of Responsibilities
- Responsible for installing, repairing and maintaining pipes, boreholes, fixtures and other plumbing used for water distribution and waste water disposal in University and residential buildings.
- Supervises the operation and maintenance of water and sewage infrastructure for the University
- Designs sewer improvement plans or flood defense programs, and associated structures, such as pumping stations, pipework, and earthworks (the scale may range from an initial outline to a full, detailed design
- Designs pump systems, pipelines, and treatment plants for handling wastewater, or black water as it is known in the industry
- Reviewing technical submissions.
- Liaises with various agencies and individuals, including local authorities, government agencies, clients, contractors, residents, suppliers, technical experts, and consultants to meet work requirements
- Supports other project managers and directors within the department and institution.
- Keeps up to date with environmental matters; being aware of policy and developments.
- Presents technical data or project results, both technical and non-technical.
- Keeps track of the progress of projects from beginning to end – from feasibility to design through to construction and handover (or handling just one section of a large project).
- Ensures work completion by the deadline.
- Supervises the operation and maintenance of water and sewage infrastructure – industrial borehole system and sewer treatment plant.
- Manages staff, including other engineers, technicians, and site workers
- Helps map out drainage systems to deal with water flow
- Work on freshwater supply systems, such as those used for drinking
- Makes reports of time and materials required to repair and maintain equipment and maintain records of operations
- Prepares budgets, orders of supplies and keep daily reports.
- Performs skilled plumbing work in the maintenance, repair, and installation of gas, water, sewer lift stations, water wells, boreholes and irrigation; performs related duties as required.
- Reads blueprints, reviews building plans drawings and specifications to determine the layout of plumbing systems, water supply networks and waste and drainage systems and related materials.
- Plans, installs and services plumbing systems, fixtures, piping equipment and controls used to transport water, waste, gases or hot liquids.
- Provides adequate services will ensure that all water supply networks and waste and drainage systems are installed, repaired and maintained to meet all standards of building codes and safety
- Identifies required tools and special equipment.
- Selects the type and size of pipe required, locate and mark positions for connections and fixtures
- Installs supports and hangers for pipe, fixtures and equipment
- Assembles and install valves and fittings
- Installs, repairs and maintains water treatment equipment, piping and controls, underground storm sanitary and water piping systems, sinks, tubs and toilets, water heaters and other appliances
- Tests pipe systems and fixtures for leaks
- Performs scheduled maintenance service on plumbing systems and fixtures
- Apply all codes to installations, repairs and maintenance
- Ensure all requirements as specified by the manufacturer of systems and fixtures are met
- Ensures all installations, repairs and maintenance are properly sized, aligned, supported, and graded.
- Ensures all installations, repairs and maintenance meet environmental protection requirements
- Administer and schedule work.
Requirements for the Position
- Bachelor’s Degree in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering, Physical Science, Geology, Environmental Science, Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline
- At least 5 years professional experience
- Knowledgeable in public health and safety laws.
Other Requirements, Abilities for the Position:
- Excellent analytical skills
- Team-working skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Good time management
- IT skills
- Communication skills.
Description of Benefits
- Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Application Closing Date
11th October, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Resumes, Cover Letters and References on a single file in a word document or PDF format to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Click here to apply online
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- AUN is an equal opportunity employer and strives to provide a culturally diverse workforce; we do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race creed, colour, nationality, origin, age, sex, religion and marital status. For information on AUN, visit our homepage.
|Job Category||Education, Engineer|