The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator and Technician
Department: Facilities & Projects Management
Reports to: Director, Facilities & Projects Management
Oversees whom: N/A
Summary of Position
- This is a non-supervisory position which requires technical ability, of which shall contribute to the efficient & effective management of the day-to-day operations in accordance with AUN Policies and Procedures.
- Duties include, but are not limited to, maintaining water pumps, equipment and facilities, collecting samples, performing basic lab testing and other routine plant operations will be required.
- Water treatment plant operator and technician run the equipment, control the processes, and monitor the plants that treat water to make it safe to drink.
- Wastewater treatment plant operator and technician remove pollutants from domestic and industrial waste.
Detailed Listing of Responsibilities
- Add chemicals, such as ammonia or chlorine, to disinfect water or other liquids Inspect equipment on a regular basis
- Monitor operating conditions, meters, and gauges
- Collect and test water and sewage samples
- Record meter and gauge readings and operational data
- Document and report test results to concerned parties.
- Operate equipment to purify and clarify water or to process or dispose of sewage.
- Clean and maintain equipment, tanks, filter beds, and other work areas
- Follow the National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA)
- Ensure safety standards are met
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements for the Position
- B.Sc. Engineering, Chemistry or equivalent field with relevant work experience
- Experience with standard techniques and practices for operation and maintenance of various types of water and wastewater systems and plants.
- Proven Ability to work with computer software such as Words, Excel, Internet, Emails
- Hands-on experience is essential – 5 years or above
Other Requirements, Abilities for the Position:
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to work without direct supervision;
- Ability to attend and understand technical courses;
- Ability to assume responsibility for complete operation of treatment plants;
- Ability to detect problems in equipment operations.
- Ability to make sound, independent, decisions requiring treatment plant operations.
- Assure discreet handling of all issues.
- Work collaboratively and cooperatively with others.
- Work under pressure.
- Possess great organization skills and planning.
Description of Benefits
- Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Application Closing Date
11th October, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Resumes, Cover Letters and References on a single file in a word document or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Click here to apply online
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- AUN is an equal opportunity employer and strives to provide a culturally diverse workforce; we do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race creed, colour, nationality, origin, age, sex, religion and marital status. For information on AUN, visit our homepage.