African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Credit Risk Officer
Position Number: 50097593
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL5
- The President plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRF); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat(PSEG).
The Hiring Department
- The Risk Management Department (PGRF) develops policies and guidelines, methodologies and systems relating to credit risk assessment, market risk and operational risk, and as well as ensures internal consistency of all of the Bank’s risk management policies and guidelines, including those initiated and developed by other departments.
- The Department’s main mandate is to safeguard the Bank’s financial integrity, consolidate all core-risk management activities of the Bank in order to exercise comprehensive oversight over the Bank’s risk exposure. In delivering its mission, PGRF focuses largely on promoting the Bank Group’s strategic goals within a defined risk tolerance framework.
- The Senior Country Risk Officer will monitor the credit risk of the Bank’ sovereign portfolio, analyze the evolution of the Bank’s risk profile and its risk bearing capacity, provide advice with respect to lending headroom, and ensure that country risk ratings are up-to-date.
Under the general supervision of the Division’s Manager and the technical supervision of the more senior Credit Risk Officers, the Senior Country Risk Officer will:
- Participate in the annual country risk rating review, off-cycle rating reviews, and prepare country risk reports by collating and analysing relevant credit related information from economic intelligence sources, national and international publications and present credit risk and rating recommendations to the Bank’s Credit Risk Committee (CRC).
- Undertake proactive and regular monitoring of country risk of the Bank’s Regional Member Countries (RMCs) and exposures to non-Regional Member Countries, and update associated Bank lending commitments and exposure limits to RMCs.
- Assist with the setting and monitoring of compliance with the Bank’s country exposures limits as well as lending programs relating to project appraisal reports and country strategy papers. Contribute to the team’s continuous development of the Bank’s overall limit setting framework.
- Undertake data management and analytical work required to prepare the quarterly sovereign credit risk review, and country-risk related contributions to the quarterly capital adequacy report.
- Assist with the preparation of country risk and exposure management related presentations, briefs and memos for the Department’s management team, the CRC and the Bank’s Board.
- Maintain and periodically update the Division’s country risk database; ensure its integrity and accuracy
- Liaise with other Departments of the Bank and Country Offices in relation to credit assessment for country graduation or country eligibility for exceptional ADB sovereign financing.
- Undertake country risk assessment missions to RMCs to update country risk profiles and prepare related special country risk reports.
- Develop, review and improve credit risk methodologies, process and systems for assessing and managing sovereign risk and capital adequacy.
- Maintain a close relationship with internal and external stakeholders, e.g. Bretton Woods Institutions, to review the Bank Group’s credit management policies and guidelines.
Competencies (Skills, Experience, and Knowledge)
- Holds at least Master’s Degree in Economics, Finance, Risk Management, and International Banking and/or Economics
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in credit risk analysis and/or financial management.
- Knowledge of sovereign risk analysis, debt sustainability analysis methodologies, credit rating agency sovereign rating methodologies, and debt relief mechanisms in emerging markets.
- Knowledge of credit risk management techniques, derivatives, capital adequacy standards and structured credit instruments.
- Clear understanding of the Bank’s development mission, products, and credit risk policies.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, problem-solving and time-management skills. High-level proficiency of data management and quantitative analysis/modelling.
- Problem solving: Apply business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identify solutions to the benefit of the division and the organization
- Communication: Provide clear and concise oral and written communication; present oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- Operational effectiveness: Ensure that full use is made of the systems, procedures and culture within the organization in order to deliver the required results
- Innovation & Creativity: Search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
- Teamwork & Relationships: Work with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, by sharing knowledge and workload. Develop strong working relationships with colleagues and contribute to creation of a positive team environment
- High competency in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; knowledge of Haver Analytics, Bloomberg, Reuters and SAP is an added advantage.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and SAP.
Application Closing Date
3rd November, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
|Job Category||Bank, Risk/Credit/Finance/Insurance/Investment|