Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Coordinator – ECW MYRP
Locations: Yobe, Nigeria
- The purpose of this role is to coordinate the Education activities in specific location(s) in Borno, Yobe state respectively where the project is implemented.
Dimensions of the Role
- Communicates within Plan International Nigeria and with partners and related government institutions.
- The post holder will coordinate the EiE project focusing on access to quality Education and Learning outcome for children in formal and non-formal Education.
- The project coordinator will implement project activities, document lessons learnt, support assessments and monitoring and evaluation of the Education in Emergencies components of Plan International’s emergency response. He/she is responsible for assessment, response analysis, design, capacity building.
- The post holder will also contribute towards the capacity building of Plan Internationals implementing partners.
In collaboration with the EiE Specialist, EiE Officer and the Field Team:
- Coordinate the overall implementation of project.
- Work with project team to implement project activities like assessments, teachers training, identification of schools, beneficiaries as per project design and donor requirements
- Support in documenting lessons learnt and best practices of the project liaising with communication team of Plan International
- With support from M&E team, design a Monitoring plan and simple data collection tools to ensure monitoring and data collection of key project indicators.
- Support assessment of Education sector in North East
- Review, assess and update the education situation in areas affected by emergency
- Highlight education issues requiring a response – both immediate (less than 2 months) and medium term and make recommendations on specific PLAN actions required. Ensure core commitments to children are taken into consideration.
- Ensure key data from assessments could be used as a baseline for program evaluation. If additional baseline data is required to evaluate children’s learning outcomes, then work with appropriate colleagues to collect this additional information.
- In collaboration with national and international Education actors, map current institutional response capacities – including conducting an education specific 5Ws.
- Support in designing appropriate education interventions based on the outcomes of assessments and the context. Inclusion of quality issues in education and learning outcomes is really important.
- Ensure that issues of early childhood, gender, protection, DRR, and conflict sensitivity are factored into the program design.
- Ensure Plan international guidelines, education cluster standards and INEE Minimum Standards, are considered and use EiE best practices.
- Provide regular updates to Education Specialist and the Emergency Response Manager, humanitarian unit and the rest of the CO on progress, priorities and constraints – verbally and in writing on an agreed frequency.
- Represent Plan International to clusters, governmental and non-governmental groups as needed and agreed with the Education in Emergencies Specialist.
- Support the implementation of, and represent Plan International in, emergency education coordination mechanisms including any relevant cluster.
- Brief updates and reports on sectoral activities/strategies to donors and other stakeholders.
- Perform any other project related duties as specified by the Education in Emergencies Specialist
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- University Degree or equivalent in Education, Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, or related fields
- Minimum of 4 years’ relevant work experience in project management of education projects and at least 2 years in Education in Emergencies
- Experience working in emergency settings
- Good knowledge and understanding of DO NO HARM principles and established international child protection standards (especially UNCRC)
- Experience with participatory approaches to education, emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, or other related area.
- Experience working with IDPs, refugees and other vulnerable populations (ideal)
- Previous experience directly providing services to children at risk and victims of abuse, exploitation and violence
- Good knowledge of INEE minimum standards and ensure to apply to the day to day implementation
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Ability to read and write in both English and other local languages appropriately
Skills & Knowledge:
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Provides good and adequate administrative and logistical support to enable programmes to meet meets it’s agreed financial and program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organizational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning.
Application Closing Date
8th October, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online