Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nursing Team Supervisor
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Type: Indefinite
Duty Station: MSF OCA, NOMA Project
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Plan, organize, and evaluate the activities concerning nursing and the team associated, according to MSF values, policies and protocols and universal health standards, in order to warrant the quality and continuity of the health care and the development of the plan of action.
- Carry out the functions and tasks associated to nursing i.e. perform as a Nurse or Anesthetist, whenever required or needed, in order to optimize the resources, contributing with his/her knowledge and experience.
- Implement all the protocols and hygiene procedures, and supervise his/her team follow the same standards, in order to warrant the quality of the care and service in his/her speciality.
- Organize and coordinate the activities of his/her team (week’s schedule, annual leave, absences, etc.), evaluate their performance and define and ensure the needs for training of staff, in order to ensure the coverage of the human resources needs and maintain high standards of quality.
- Carry out and/or supervise the (decentralized) pharmacy and medical equipment management (drugs orders, follow-up of the stock, storage conditions, inventories, follow-up of expired drugs and their destruction, drugs consumption, etc.)in his or her department, in order to satisfy the needs of material with efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring that cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
- Carry-out and/or coordinate administrative (exit-paper, transfer-paper, etc.), information and data collection (patient files, forms, statistics, etc.) tasks, and elaborate regular reporting, in order to have updated and reliable information about the day-to-day activity in the project, output/ outcome and support decision-taking.
- Give feedback/reports to medical focal point.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Plan and organize nursing care activities in collaboration with MoH nurses to ensure quality management of acute noma cases, pre- and post- operative care for patients.
- Ensure all administrative procedures and documents (individual patient’s card and registration book, discharge paper, transfer paper, etc
- Participate in handing over and taking over of nursing activities and plan daily objectives in the wards. Be present on ward round on Monday and Friday. Ensure proactivity in terms on attending to patients care needs.
- Follow-up on OPD patients, ensure all patients are seen by the specified departments
- Ensure all recommended Laboratory investigations are done on admission and timely
- Ensure CRF for all patients (New admissions) are completed on admission and submit to the data supervisor
- Ensure patients on admission get adequate care by: response to care needs, medications, investigation, and prompt response to emergencies.
- Ensure weekly consumption is carry out in the wards and tracked on the consumption sheet. Submit to NAM for Approval,
- Actively ensure the implementation of treatment protocols and hygiene procedures in the wards, work in collaboration with MOH nurse to ensure hygiene standards is maintained including provision of hygiene kits (oral hygiene) and mosquito nets for the patients.
- Check and report to NAM immediately (sick leave, circumstantial leave, unjustified leave) check and follow up that staffs report to duty at resumption time.
- Ensure good communication and promote good collaboration between the MSF medical team and the MoH departments.
- Ensure biomed and quality documentation for all medical instrument and equipment in the wards
- Ensure quality documentation of patients care and procedures.
- Training: assess needs and provide training for the nursing team and NUT assistants,support projects training on Noma identification, prevention ,and early referral
- Provide regular Health Education for patients and their caretakers.
Pre- / Post-operative Care and Intervention Care:
- Ensure Pre-Intervention prepartion are carried out on time, including stock count (order needed medication), file management and patient management
- Support the OT team in preparations for surgical intervention, this includes preparing patients for investigations and intervention screening.
- Supervise quality wound care for all noma patients on admission pre and post operatively.
- Submit narrative for MMR report on the last day of epi month.
- Ensure incentive assessment of incentives payment reflects the activity in the wards, and submit early for approval.
- Plan staff monthly roster and submit to NAM/MTL for approval.
- Ensure data forms of IPD Department are filled out correctly and submitted to the medical data supervisor on weekly basis.
- Keep track of all referrals to other health facilities and report to the manager.
- Ensure patients admission, follow up visits, procedures, investigations, discharge and mortality are captured in the CRF form.
- Report to the NAM all relevant information linked to nursing activities
- Set objectives for the nursing team and carry out midterm /end of the year evaluation.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants must meet the following criteria:
- RN or Diploma in Nursing with years of experience. Desirable specialty (Nurse or Anesthetist,
- Peri-Operative Nurse, Paediatric Nurse with Current Practicing License
- Essential 2 years of previous experience leading / supervising Nurses and Nutrition Assistants.
- Having worked in MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries is desirable.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- English is essential. Hausa language is desirable.
- Stress Management.
Application Closing Date
21st October, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Candidates who applied before do not need to re-apply.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will NOT be considered.
- Please note only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization.