United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Security Associate
Job ID: 32265
Location: Takum, Taraba
Salary Grade: G6
Hardship Level: D
Family Location Type: Non-Family
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Field Security Associate provides support to all security related aspects of field operations including Staff, premises and asset security.
- The incumbent is supervised by a Senior Officer (FSA or Head of Office) who defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance. The incumbent maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR staff members, UN agencies, NGOs, implementing partners and Host Government Security authorities (HGS) in the area to facilitate the operation.
- The duty of the incumbent is to support and monitor the management of security issues.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks.
- In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- The Field Security Associate reporting directly to the Head of Field Office will head the field security unit at the office.
- The incumbent therefore should have well demonstrated security data analysis and reporting skills.
- The incumbent should also have corresponding field experience to coordinate with respective Federal and State Government security apparatus in the area and subsequently provide guidance to the guard force at the Field Office.
- Share with staff security -related information in the area and ensure compliance to UNSMIS policies.
- The Field Security Associate should advise security procedures and processes in the operation to enable senior management to make respective informed decisions. Experience in staff development activities to coach and direct staff to applicable learning resources.
- Arranging police escorts for staff missions to locations classified as hazardous. Liaison with the Field Security Advisor at the Sub Office Ogoja for guidance as well as sharing/ exchanging information with respective colleagues in similar operational context to standardize responses to similar challenges.
- He/she should possess good communication and interpersonal skills as well as solid knowledge of the Security Management Rules and Regulations and related corporate tools. Candidate should work closely with other UN Agencies in the area and be innovative to find solutions.
- Duty of Care is critical in high-risk duty stations therefore the Field Security Associate should have experience to collaborate with UN medical teams and Staff welfare to support staff. Knowledge and experience working in high-risk duty station is an asset.
- The security situation in Takum is characterized by petty crimes, kidnapping for ransom and as recently as mid-November this year, suspected Ambazonian fighters crossed over from Cameroon attacking a border area that led to the death of eleven people including a traditional ruler.
- The security situation continues to be unstable, volatile, and indeed unpredictable. The status quo is expected to continue in 2022.
- Provide assistance to the supervisor in evaluating the level of risk and assessing the existing security measures for the UNHCR staff, operations, premises, partners and persons of concern.
- Conduct regular security assessment missions to the field as required in coordination with UNDSS/other agencies; gather and analyse information about the security situation during field missions.
- Be aware of security protocols and procedures in place in accordance with the UNSMS policies, UNHCR Policies and the, Security Risk Management process for the designated area ;
- Conduct checks for compliance and advise management on any deficiencies.
- Monitor the physical security of UNHCR premises and reports on deficiencies.
- Monitor and supervise the guard force In accordance with relevant UNSMS policies and guidance.
- Assist UNHCR Protection Colleagues in efforts to ensure the physical protection and security of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Provide support during implementation of security-related projects.
- Assist in the monitoring, updating and reporting of security-related events.
- Assist in the processing of administrative security issues.
- Maintain relations and cooperation with UN security management system actors, local law enforcement agencies, civil authorities and other relevant agencies.
- Provide security briefings and training to UNHCR staff, and as appropriate partner staff, on relevant security risk management processes and measures for the country concerned to include security situation updates, , the warden system, communication notification and reporting procedures, travel planning procedures road air and fire safety.
- Respond to staff queries on security issues and provide immediate assistance as required.
- Provide security-related advice to the manager and other staff.
- Maintain liaison and build relationships with Host Government Security Forces and security counterparts.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
- For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher.
Certificates and / or Licenses:
- Security and Safety
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience:
- Not Specified.
- High level of knowledge in the security field.
- IT-Computer Literacy
- FS-Field Security Operations
- FS-Security Analysis
- CO-Cross-cultural communication
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- Please also note that English is essential for this Job Opening.
- Knowledge of local Language is desirable.
- Competencies as defined in Job Profile.
- All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
- As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
- This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Application Closing Date
26th December, 2021 at 11:59 pm.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
|Job Category||NGO, UN|