United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Communication for Development Specialist – NERICC
Job Number: 545838
Contract type: Temporary Appointment
How Can You Make a Difference?
- The Communications for Development Specialist reports to the C4D Team Lead for general guidance and supervision with additional guidance provided by the C4D Manager in charge of Immunization.
- The Specialist provides technical and operational support in the development of a systematic, planned and evidence-based strategy and process for C4D as an integral part of program development, planning and implementation to promote measurable behavioral and social change / mobilization through communication, engagement, empowerment and participation of stakeholders, partners constituents, communities and civil society to achieve successful and sustainable concrete (program/project) results on children’s rights, survival and well-being in the country.
- Further, and in close coordination with the partners in immunization activities, the incumbent will drive progress in National Emergency Routine Immunization Coordination Centre (NERICC) and National Emergency for Maternal Child Health Intervention Centre (NEMCHIC) activities in national office based in Abuja and in all field offices in Nigeria, to achieve successful social mobilization that will result in increased uptake for routine immunization and other child survival and development initiatives.
- Incumbent is also responsible for actively supporting the national Social Mobilization initiatives and to support Advocacy, Communication and Social Mobilization Working Group at National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA).
Organizational Context and Purpose for the Job
- Under the general guidance of the C4D Chief, the incumbent is responsible for the coordination of communication working group to accelerate demand generation approaches and strategies at NERICC and NEMCHIC spearheaded by the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) to promote awareness, understanding, support and social mobilization plans that support advocacy and community engagement as well as community empowerment and behaviour change as key components of the country programmes in Nigeria in line with the rolling work plan with the Federal Ministry of Health and NPHCDA.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
Strategic Direction & Coordination:
- Support NERICC and NEMCHIC to determine strategic directions for communication for development (advocacy, social mobilization, community engagement and behaviour change technical working groups) team and ensure the strategies are in line with Nigeria Country Programme Document (CPD) as well as the Rolling Work Plan (RWP) to achieve Routine Immunization coverage targeted in NSIPS as well as contribute to improvement of CSD indices.
- Make viable recommendations and decisions on appropriate communication for development strategies to achieve the NERICC’s and NEMCHIC’s goals and objectives, and to support UNICEF’s mission in the country.
- Coordinate different fora mainly GAVI subgroups for demand generation, BMGF MOU states community engagement working groups and CSM communication groups.
- To provide expert advice and assistance to the NERICC and NEMCHIC team by attending several task teams including core group on attitude and behaviour change modalities that contribute to changing mindsets and are culturally sensitive and tailored to generate demand for routine immunization (RI) services and maternal and child health (MCH) development.
- Ensure that NERICC and NEMCHIC task groups are supported to develop plans and activities to increase demand for RI and MCH services
- Develop, maintain and update the C4D strategy for NERICC and NEMCHIC with approaches, plans and activities geared towards increasing demand for RI and other primary health care (PHC) services.
- The strategy should be founded on sound evidence based on studies with clear objectives, approaches, plans, activities, as well as monitoring and evaluation mechanisms.
- Ensure approaches used is all inclusive, consultative and participatory to carry along all stakeholders.
- To support COVID-19 Vaccination activities to improve demand through advocacy, social mobilization and community engagement initiatives.
Promotion of Appropriate use of Communication for Social Development:
- Provide advice on appropriate use of communication and approach for social development, aimed at both individual behaviour change and collective action as well as policy advice.
- Provide expert advice, coordination and technical support to government counterparts and other partners in the development and strategic use of communication for social development to ensure optimum leverage and impact of communication activities on programme, policy and advocacy activities.
- Collaborate with the Federal Government officials, NPHCDA, community leaders, other UN bodies, and bilateral agencies and NGOs in the organization of activities, operational research, advocacy and exchange of information and ideas supportive of NERICC’s and NEMCHIC’s communication goals and strategies.
- Jointly with other UNICEF and government officers, designs and manages/facilitates the implementation of communication plans of action aiming at: (a) behaviour development/change at individual/household levels; (b) social mobilization of civil society organizations; (c) increased community participation in RI and PHC; and (d) policy issues that require advocacy to impact RI and PHC uptake.
- Support state teams to design and implement strategies for hard to reach, nomadic and minority groups at the LGA and ward levels, informed by the equity analysis and aligned with coverage and equity plans.
- Monitors and evaluates activities on the basis of applied targeted communication research and frequent visits to project sites. Disseminates communication research findings, ensures exchanges of experience and new methods to government officials, programme staff, and other UNICEF partners.
- Collaborate with, advise and/or consult internal partners, to design of culturally relevant C4D strategies, including formulation, production and pre-testing materials and/or to organize C4D events and activities to ensure engagement and participation of key audiences, and maximum outreach and impact on behavioral and social change.
- Confirm/verify the technical quality, consistency and relevancy of communications strategies, including materials that are developed, produced and disseminated to target audience and recommend appropriate multiple media formats. Oversee the production and implementation of multi-media initiatives for compliance with targets and plans that integrate the latest evidence.
- Carry out C4D advocacy activities with/for a wide range of constituents, stakeholders, partners, communities, such as religious groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists and other organised groups at national, state, zonal, Local Government Areas (LGA) and community levels, as well as civil society organizations etc. to orient them on behavior and social mobilization models, strategies, approaches, routine immunization as well as MNCH+N; and solicit their involvement in the implementation of the overall initiative; also to encourage / promote engagement and dialogue, inclusion, self-determination and participation in mobilizing social, political, behavioral and cultural change to achieve sustainable program results for polio eradication, improved routine immunization, and children and women’s rights, equity and well-being.
- Develop/select materials and other communication tools for C4D events.
- Identify, establish and maintain active interaction/relations with media, academia and other strategic partners to communicate/advocate UNICEF’s competencies and achievements to ensure their engagement, interests and support in promoting social / political engagement for political action on polio eradication, and measurable changes in social and behavioral outcomes.
- Conduct and/or participate in M & E (Monitoring and Evaluation) and Evaluation exercises, including country program previews, meetings and mid-term/annual reviews to assess / report on efficacy / outcome of C4D on UNICEF and Nigeria Country Office (NCO) Strategic Plans/Goals. Recommend timely action to ensure the achievement of results as planned and allocated. Integrate/disseminate lessons learned in development planning and improvements.
- Monitor and evaluate programme activities on the basis of applied qualitative behavioral research and frequent visits to project sites.
- Analyse and evaluate data to ensure compliance and achievement of objectives and recommend corrective action, when necessary, to meet programme/project objectives. Prepare monitoring and evaluation reports in accordance with the established guidelines, methods and procedures.
- Provide technical advice to programme staff, government officials and other counterparts, and coordinate and manage the evaluative elements of country programme milestone meetings, such as mid-term reviews, strategy meetings, previews and reviews and annual reviews.
Capacity Building for Sustainability:
- Provide advice on capacity building of communication for development teams, both within NPHCDA and among counterparts.
- Oversee and advise on the development of goals, strategy, approaches, plans as well as training materials and activities to build up capacity in participatory and behaviour change communication for personnel involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation of communication for development intervention, in support of COVID-19 vaccine, RI and PHC.
Resource Mobilization and Management:
- Participate in the budget planning & review process, and ensure the optimal resources from UNICEF and other partners towards C4D initiatives to support NERICC
- Establish programme work plans, allocation of resources, and monitors progress and compliance.
- Take appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds and mobilize resources; improve programme efficiency, quality and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Oversee the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly and effectively coordinated, monitored and liquidated.
- Advanced University Degree in the Social / Behavioural Sciences, (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, and Health Education) or Bachelor’s with over 8 years of work experience with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, and participatory communication, and research, training / facilitation and impact evaluation of communication interventions.
- Training in communication for development and implementation in communication for development, social mobilization and behavioral change. Training in inter-disciplinary approach in programme communication.
- Minimum 5 years (8 year for candidate with bachelors) relevant professional work experience in the planning and management of social development programmes, including 2 years in with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes.
- Fluency in English and another UN language. Local working language of the duty station an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- Competencies and level of proficiency required (please base on UNICEF Competency Profiles)
- UNICEF’s Core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability (CRITA)
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (3)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (3)
- Works Collaboratively with others (3)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (3)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (3)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (3)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (3)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (3).
Application Closing Date
14th November, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.