Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication Consultant
Contract Duration: Six (6) Months
- Plan International Nigeria in the six years of its existence has expanded from a small organisation to one of the largest INGOs in Nigeria.
- The organisation has also in the period established itself as a major intervention agency, our aim is to become a leading player in Nigerian civil society platforms with recognisable presence across the federation. We also aim to establish our self as distinct from other organisations in our choice of a bolder approach to tackling issues head on.
- To achieve this, we have been making efforts at strategically bridging the gap between what we are good at and what we are known for. Achieving this also entails improving on our visibility, developing and deploying strategic communication and marketing products that prime our internal and external audience to buy into, and take ownership of our commitments to transforming power relations in favour of 10 million girls in Nigeria, and the global ambition of advancing the rights of 100 million girls. In addition to this, we also have to ensure that the system and structures are set up to facilitate sustainability of actions and regeneration of leadership of our influencing actions. To achieve this, existence of adequate staffing for roles that complement and advance our influencing is required.
- It is against the background of the above that Plan International Nigeria seeks the services of a Communications Consultant to support the organisation’s efforts at improving on its internal and external communications processes.
- The consultant will be expected to work with the communications team to improve on existing internal communication structures, maintain positive relationships with our external audience, develop integrated marketing campaigns and support teams’ public advocacy initiatives.
- The successful candidate will, in conjunction with the Communications Advisor and under the supervision of the Policy, Research and Influencing Manager modify overall approach to communications, manage and implement same. It is expected that the consultant will, working in the communications team, contribute to the development of a strategic communication plan for the organisation which identifies priority communications goals and audiences and outlines a framework for understanding and implementing organisation’s communications strategy and aligned with the organisation’s country strategy.
Dimensions of the Role
- The position is a strategic communication role, providing technical guidance on promotion of organisation’s brand, activities, or products. Will, in conjunction with the rest of the communication team, work to ensure that the brand remains in the consciousness of its clients and target audience.
- The consultant will also support capacity building of staff in brand awareness, create enriched employee training materials.
- Develop, implement and update, as needed, a Strategic Social Media Strategy and Action Plan.
- Support the development of external communications including, but not limited to, success stories, reports, and other materials that communicate project’s lessons and successes over the years.
- Manage the organisation’s online presence by producing good content and analysing usage data.
- Monitor SEO and web traffic metrics
- Communicate with followers, respond to queries in a timely manner and monitor reviews
- Supervise production of multi-media products, including social media presence enhancing products for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, TikTok etc.
- Generate, edit, publish and share engaging content daily (e.g. original text, photos, videos and news.
- Develop messages with high levels of planning and research of audience behaviours and perceptions to enhance the achievement of the organisation’s ambitions.
- Generate new ideas, concepts and techniques to make use of the social media in the organisation more effective.
- To provide a public relation function by supporting the Policy, Research and Influencing Manager in building and maintaining contacts for Plan International Nigeria within entertainment, celebrity and political circles in order to promote the work and strategic aims of the organisation.
- Assist the Communications Advisor in preparing presentations and investment content for print and electronic media.
- Do constant analysis of and profiling of the organisation’s clients and audiences for a deep understanding of their information needs and best means of meeting them.
- Coordinate Country Office level actions targeted at global and strategic moments.
- Develop marketing and promotional content for the media and the web.
- In conjunction with the Head on Human Resources and the IT Unit maintain organisation internal communications and intranet.
- Support the Plan International’s emergency response team to ensure that the country programme’s strategies and situation reports have clear advocacy objectives and strategies, and indicators for assessing the impact of Plan’s advocacy work.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- At least five years’ experience working as strategic communications specialist in INGO environment.
- Good oral communication/presentation skills
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, including ability to find, absorb, analyse and prioritise information from many different sources.
- Ability to work under pressure, to tight deadlines, with competing priorities and minimal supervision
- Should have excellent communication skills and be able to express our Plan International’s views creatively.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to work in multi-national, multi-cultural teams
- Ability to do analysis of organization communication, demographic analysis, understand modern communication styles and the ability to craft messaging for a global audience.
- Proven experience of strategy development
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Computer literate and well-versed in basic software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Application Closing Date
8th October, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online