Job Title: CALL FOR NATIONAL EXPERTS ROSTER IN SUPPORT TO UNDP NIGERIA’S PROJECTS AND PROGRAMMES IMPLEMENTATION
Location : All Locations, NIGERIA
Application Deadline : 11-Oct-21
(Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
Duration of Initial Contract : Various, depending on the assignment
Expected Duration of Assignment : Various, depending on the assignment
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience, and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 177 countries, working with national counterparts on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. Anchored in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and committed to the principles of universality, equality and leaving no one behind, the UNDP vision for the Strategic Plan, 2018-2021 is to help countries achieve sustainable development by eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, accelerating structural transformations for sustainable development and building resilience to crises and shocks. The Strategic Plan describes how UNDP will better adapt to the range of country contexts in which we work, framed through:
- The three broad development settings to which our approach responds;
- A series of signature solutions that define the core work of UNDP;
- The two platforms through which we will deliver our work;
- Country support platforms for the Sustainable Development Goals;
- A global development advisory and implementation services platform;
- An improved business model to underpin our efforts.
All UNDP interventions contribute to a development output, which contribute toward one or more of the three development outcomes of the UNDP Strategic Plan:
- Outcome 1: Eradicate poverty in all its forms and dimensions;
- Outcome 2: Accelerate structural transformations for sustainable development; and,
- Outcome 3: Build resilience to shocks and crises.
UNDP Nigeria Mission Statement
UNDP supports stabilization, state-building, governance and development priorities in Nigeria.
UNDP support, in partnership with the Government, the United Nations system, the donor community and other development stakeholders, has contributed to institutional development efforts leading to positive impact on the lives of Nigerian citizens. Over the years UNDP support has spanned such milestone efforts in support to Ministries, Government agencies and commissions at the Federal and State levels.
UNDP Programmes in Nigeria have benefited from the very active support of donors and Government. UNDP Nigeria is committed to the highest standards of transparency and accountability and works in close coordination with the United Nations System in the country to maximize the impact of its development efforts on the ground.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Building on the progress made and institutional setup in place for achievement of SDGs in Nigeria with the government on the forefront, including nationalization of SDGs, their alignment with the national priorities and prioritization of targets, it becomes important to recognize the link between sustainable development and other relevant on-going processes in the economic, social and environmental fields in Nigeria.
To this end, UNDP to take a proactive initiative to partner with the government and other key stakeholders in supporting the development of a financial eco-system including through an integrated national financial framework along with supplementary measures such as medium-term revenue strategy and expenditure framework, governance mechanism and a framework for fiscal federalism. It will also prioritize SDG impact investments in partnership with national advisory board and global investors as well as insurance risk finance in collaboration with the Financial Sector Deepening Africa (FSD) and the Insurance Development Forum (IDF). On top of these are high-level policy advocacy, economic analysis and forecasting to assist the UN and the government making effective policy choices.
The Governance, Peace and Security Pillar
The Governance, Peace and Security pillar builds on the comparative advantage of UNDP in public sector reform programs and peacebuilding through a cluster of concurrent programming tracks that provide policy support and technical assistance in:
- Planning, developing and implementing national and local governance reforms, improving equitable access to public services, strengthening governmental and legislative roles and responsibilities, promoting inclusive peace dividends;
- Strengthening citizen-centered public security, rule of law and justice sectors, supporting integration of anti-corruption measures, including transparency and accountability.
The Governance for Peace pillar is an integral part of the UNDP Strategic Plan and is its number two signature solution—strengthen effective, inclusive and accountable governance. It also directly contributes to the implementation of Nigeria SDG Goals 1, 5, 8, 11, 16, and 17 and strengthens the means of implementation for almost all foundational SDGs in Nigeria. The pillar is aligned with the Nigeria Peace and Development Framework and National Priority Programmes on justice sector reforms and good governance.
The Inclusive growth pillar
The programme aims at achieving this objective through support to develop SDG aligned national and state development planning along with strengthening capacities for generating and analyzing data. Based on recent assessments, support for resilience building through improving livelihood and employment creation along with social protection measures such cash transfers in targeted communities would be a key component of the programme. UNDP has launched the Jubilee Fellowship Programme. Furthermore, the Accelerator Lab Programme …
Environmental Suitability, resilience, and climate change
UNDP supports the Government of Nigeria and local communities to improve access to reliable, clean, and affordable energy in Nigeria and adopt policy measures to ensure the protection of natural resources and ecosystems across the country. UNDP provides policy support and technical assistance, including transfer of knowledge and best practices, to enable the Nigerian government and local communities utilize clean and renewable technologies to meet the growing energy demand in Nigeria. This pillar also focusses on strengthening the capacity of the Government of Nigeria to integrate Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) into development framework and planning, support the development of alternative climate resilient livelihood options for subsistence farmers as well as improve productive irrigation infrastructures so that agricultural productivity is not constrained under changing conditions. UNDP’s support, under this pillar, also includes finding ways that can ensure international support given to Nigeria to access modern technologies and expertise for improving access to energy.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of call for applications: UNDP Nigeria seeks to create a roster of National Consultants to work as team members through any one of the 3 pillars, which could be used to hire consultants on a need basis.
Tasks assigned in each individual assignment may include one or more of the following areas. Experts will need to demonstrate extensive professional experience in at least one (preferably multiple) of the thematic areas listed below:
- SDG Platform
Details of Profile
SDG Finance Expert
- Creation of A-SDG coordination platform and business models for different stakeholders (UNCT, government, civil society, academia) to engage with the private sector around SDG financing.
- Development of an A-SDG financing strategy.
- Design and operate financing vehicles and mechanisms for A-SDG implementation.
- Test innovative blended finance schemes;
- Experts on analysis of the political structures and economic systems of country with an examination of the main domestic and external actors.
- Strategic conflict assessment including conflict analysis to explain the causes and dynamics of conflict.
- Experts on political economy analyses focusing on interests, incentives, and institutions relevant to I) economic transformation, ii) governance for peace, and iii) energy and environment pillars and identify/frame different plausible development scenarios;
Details of Profile
Support to peace and stabilization
- Experts on post conflict stabilization and reintegration.
- Expert on post conflict need assessments.
- Experts on Labor market survey and job creation;
United Nations Support to Elections
- Designing a comprehensive Strategic Plan / M&E Plan.
- Advisory on Election Operations (ICT, Security, Logistics etc.).
- Advisory on Election Information Management Systems.
- IEC Financial Management System are enhanced;
- Experience in anti-corruption project design and/or implementation with legal background.
- Experience in training/workshop design and facilitation for public servants in anti-corruption; hands-on experience in prosecution, police, or adjudication.
- Experience in incorporating innovation within projects/programmes including through social and behavioural change comm, use of data, citizens’ participation, etc.
- Experience working with field partners such as government and local NGOs/citizens;
Public Administration, including Civil Service Reform
- Experience in the public administration and/or civil service reform processes, preferable with additional experiences in security, justice and broadly rule of law sectors.
- Hands-on experience conducting institutional/organizational design, capacity assessments, functional reviews, and HR reform processes.
- Experience in advising senior public officials on public administration reform at the strategic and policy-level, citizen-oriented service delivery or related field preferably in rule of law and/or security institutions.
- Advisory support in the areas of strategic planning, policy development, HR reform, public financial management and/or systems development.
- Experience in designing, establishing, and advising “one stop shop” or public service delivery centres in developing and/or fragile state contexts.
- Hands on experience with “designing for service delivery” methodologies and approaches including process mapping/engineering, human-centered design, co-creation methodologies, systems development, etc.;
Justice Sector Reforms
- Experience in the police and jjustice sector reforms.
- Experience within the security, justice and broadly rule of law sector.
- Hands-on experience in “justice sector reforms” advisory support to national-level justice and judicial institutions in developing and conflict contexts.
- Experience in the areas related to SGBV.
- Experience in gender issues related to security, justice and broadly rule of law sectors;
C. Inclusive Economic Transformation
Details of Profile
- Experience in economic analysis in the macro and micro level
- Experience in economic policy advocacy, report writing and communication
- Experience in the region would be an asset;
- Experience in job creation, job markets and market driven employments.
- Experience in developing and maintaining tailored employment pathway plans and employment support activities.
- Experience in providing pre-employment assistance through vocational counselling, training, job search skills, and work trials/work experience to increase capacity for employment
- Experience with focus on gender is an asset;
Urban Development Specialist
- Experience in urban development in conflict and post conflict countries;
- Relevant professional experience in urban development and urban environmental improvement, urban sector development issues, or related area
- Experience in project administration and relevant experience in design of multisector projects, practical knowledge
- Experience in integration of financial, economic, social, institutional and safeguard requirements and issues in project design
Value chain analysis expert
- Experience in analyzing value chains for both agro and non-agro products and value-added productions; cuVNKDb Dml32P
- Professional experience with value chain approaches in the agricultural and natural resources sectors, including fostering vertical and horizontal relationships in the industry to increase quality of services and products, especially for smallholder farmers, and promote competitiveness of the industry.
- Experience in working closely with producers, traders, wholesalers, retailers and consumers.
- Experience facilitating relationships between private sector and government
Economic empowerment/Livelihood Expert
- Experience in livelihood options, business, entrepreneurship, and rural financial services
- Experience in designing and implementing women’s economic empowerment initiatives
- Experience in conducting market assessments, designing and delivering on business skills, financial literacy, and entrepreneurship curricula
Economics and Finance
- Indepth knowledge of economic policies, policy reforms, development planning, coordination, research and financing.
- Knowledge of Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development and Agenda 2063.
- Experience in working with African Governments, including in Nigeria, in advisory services and capacity development is required.
- Proven track record of engagement with senior level government, United Nations and donors.
- Progressively responsible experience in such areas as: international organizations, government, political, social, civil, or legal affairs; public or business administration; or management;
- A proven track record of leadership and management in multicultural settings, including coordination of interdisciplinary teams;
- Experience in a senior managerial capacity, providing clear advice on complex organizational or bureaucratic issues to inform the decision making of high-level leadership;
Experience in leading the implementation of strategic development frameworks, multi-donor development funds, stakeholder relationship management, inter-agency coordination and knowledge and familiarity in engagements with Governments and international partners are desirable
on Economics and Finance
- Experience in international organizations, government, political, social, civil, or legal affairs; public or business administration; or management;
- Experience in socio-economic analysis
- Experience in multicultural settings, including coordination of interdisciplinary teams;
- Experience in the provision of technical support to senior officials on development issues;
- Experience in stakeholder relationship management, inter-agency coordination and knowledge and familiarity in engagements with Governments and international partners are desirable
D. Energy and Environment
Details of Profile
Climate Change Adaptation expert
Experience in climate change adaptation projects including climate proofed infrastructure, improved seeds, innovative farming technologies and other relevant issues. Experience with GEF and GCF project would be an asset;
Programme/project development National Officer
Experience in programme/project development with focus on climate change, disaster risk reduction, biodiversity, renewable energy; to help international consultant in project development
Experience in climate resilient livelihoods focusing on climate change adaptation and climate-induced disaster risks. Experience with GEF and GCF project would be an asset;
Senior Irrigation Engineers
Experience in design and implementation of irrigation improved infra-structure. Experience with GEF and GCF project would be an asset;
F. Other Profiles
Details of Profile
Research and Survey
- Develop survey methodology, sampling issues, training of interviewers, field work, data sampling, data processing, data cleaning, data preparation, tabulation, data analysis, reporting drafting, review of draft report.
- Carryout quality assurance of survey data through data validation.
- Undertake background research on patterns, experiences, and manifestations of the subject area.
- Contribute to the finalization of the methodology for SDG;
Institutional Arrangements: Consultant shall be responsible for their own Laptop, mobile phones, travel arrangements, health, and medical insurance, etc. to carrying out their deliverables under their contract.
Payment(s) for contracts issued shall be made in local currency, following certification by UNDP that the services related to each deliverable, to be specified in the prospective contract, have been satisfactorily performed and the deliverables have been achieved by or before the due dates specified, if any.
- Promotes ethics and integrity and creates organizational precedents;
- Builds and promotes effective teams;
- Creates and promotes environment for open communications;
- Shares knowledge across the organization and builds a culture of knowledge sharing and learning
- Good track record in project management, with UNDP experience being an asset.
- Understanding of Government functioning and systems.
- Updated familiarity on, various National projects on across one or more areas of expertise.
- Familiarity with UNDP ERP would be advantageous
- Working knowledge of objectives-oriented project planning, or results-based management.
- Leadership skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities skills.
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback.
- Ability to plan, organize, implement and report on work.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in the use of office IT applications and internet.
- Outstanding communication, project management and organizational skills.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards.
- Positive, constructive attitude to work.
Required Skills and Experience
REQUIREMENTS FOR EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS.
Required Qualifications and Experience.
Professional Experience in the area of expertise
Junior (Band 1)
Minimum Bachelor’s Degree
Minimum 2 years in the respective area
Experts (Band 2)
Minimum Bachelor’s Degree
Minimum 5 years in the respective area
Senior Experts (Band 3)
Minimum 10 years in the respective area
Excellent oral and written English language skills, and fluency in other fluent local language is required.
PROCEDURE OF SUBMISSION
PRICE PROPOSAL AND SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS
The applicant shall submit a price proposal as below:
- Daily Fee – The applicant shall propose a daily fee in USD which should be inclusive of his/her professional fee, local communication cost and medical insurance. The number of working days for each position shall vary depending on the requirements of services. If the proposed daily fee is considered high, UNDP may either engage in negotiation with the candidate to agree on a mutually acceptable rate in line with UNDP’s scale, or UNDP may reject to include the candidate in the Roster.
- If official travel outside the duty station is required, applicable DSA shall be paid to the contractor according to the policy.
- All payments should be made in local currency based on the UN Exchange rate.
EVALUATION METHOD AND CRITERIA
Technical Evaluation (100 marks)
- Educational Background – 20 points
- Relevant Experience – 30 points
- Overall Experience – 20 points
- Experience with UN or multilateral and/or bi-lateral funding agencies – 20 points
- Language proficiency: Fluency in English, and also main local language: – 10
Applications obtaining minimum 70 points shall be considered for inclusion in the Roster subject to review and assessment of reasonableness of proposed daily rate.
Financial Evaluation: Reasonableness shall be assessed based on the UN rate and local market rate; once agreed upon a rate, the candidate shall be included in the roster. If the proposed daily rate is considered unreasonable or if a mutually acceptable rate cannot be agreed upon, UNDP may reject to include the candidate into the roster.
Contracting Arrangements: Successful individuals will be selected and placed on the technical expert roster for a period of up to three years. It is to be noted that inclusion in the roster does not guarantee a contract during the period of three years.
Rostered experts will be contacted when specific service requests arise and will be asked to indicate availability and interest against a specific Terms of Reference (ToR) outlining the outputs of the assignment.
Upon secondary review, an Individual Contract (IC) or Reimbursable Loan Agreements (RLA) will then be awarded for specific ToRs, incl. detailing the time frame.
Mandatory documents to be submitted with application: The application must include the following documents as one attachment, i.e. scanned as a single pdf file:
- Cover letter mentioning the application thematic (SDG, Governance …) and Band ( 1, 2 or 3)
- CV or UNDP P11
- Minimum 3 references with updated contact details
Note: For Individuals who will be represented on behalf of an organization/company/institution, a Reimbursable Loan Agreement (RLA) will be signed between UNDP and the organization/company/institution. Reimbursable Loan Agreement (RLA): A legal instrument between UNDP and an organization/company/institution, according to which, the latter makes available the services of an individual delivering time-bound and quantifiable outputs that are directly linked to payments.
Payments will be made as specified in the actual contract upon confirmation of UNDP on delivering against the contract obligations in a satisfactory manner.
Annexes (click on the hyperlink to access the documents):
- Annex 1 –
IC Contract Template (for information)
- Annex 2 –
IC General Terms and Conditions (for information)
- Annex 3 –
RLA Template (if consultant wishes to be recruited through an employer) – (for information)
Incomplete applications will not be considered, it will be disqualified automatically. Please make sure you have provided all requested material. Please group all documents into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document.