The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Architect – All Interested Candidates (OBO)
Announcement Number: Lagos-2021-120
Series/Grade: LE – 1110 11
Promotion Potential: LE-11
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 04. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Temporary
- Appointment Type Details: Definite not to Exceed 5 years subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances / certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
Basic Function for the Position:
- Working under the Overseas Building Operations (OBO) Project Director (PD) / Construction Manager (CM), the Architect is responsible for construction inspection, reviewing of plans, recommending approval of shop drawings and submittals, maintaining a daily log of construction activities, developing change orders including preparation of cost estimates, and other construction architectural duties for the New Consulate Compound (NCC).
- The Architect must be capable of working independently and provide professional architectural services in support of the project.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Minimum of five (5) years in the field of architecture related to building construction and renovations is required.
- Must have knowledge of U.S. building codes and specifications including an understanding of DOS / OBO construction regulations and guidelines, OBO commissioning and construction guidebook.
- Knowledge of local building and construction codes, architectural laws, codes and permits applicable to local construction environment, local safety and security rules is required.
- Must be familiar with the local government structures, jurisdictions, key persons, processes to guarantee effective authorizations and related engagement.
- Professional knowledge in the field of architectural principles, practices and technical perspectives as well as thorough professional knowledge in project management is required.
- University Degree in Architecture from an accredited institution is required.
- Note: NYSC Certificate or Exemption document is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluent in speaking / reading / writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook) and internet research is required.
- Professional skills using construction management software such as AutoCAD and Revit is required.
- Ability to create architectural cost estimates and review construction drawings for code compliance is required.
- Must be able to lift items up to 35 pounds.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN15,890,203 (USD53,767) Annually.
Application Closing Date
14th December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process.
- Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate
- For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.