Job Position: Air Quality Programme Officer
Location: Los Angeles, London, Nairobi, Lagos, Mexico City
C40 is a network of nearly 100 mayors of the world’s leading cities, who are working to deliver the urgent action needed right now to confront the climate crisis, and create a future where everyone, everywhere can thrive. Mayors of C40 cities are committed to using a science-based and people-focused approach to help the world limit global heating to 1.5°C and build healthy, equitable and resilient communities. Through a Global Green New Deal, mayors are working alongside a broad coalition of representatives from labour, business, the youth climate movement and civil society to go further and faster than ever before.
C40’s team of 200+ staff is headquartered in New York, with offices in London, Joburg, Singapore, Delhi, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in Los Angeles.
The strategic direction of the organisation is determined by an elected Steering Committee of C40 mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti. Three-term Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the C40 Board of Directors, which is responsible for operational oversight. A nine-person management team, led by Executive Director, Mark Watts, leads the day-to-day management of C40. C40’s three core strategic funders are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and Realdania.
C40 is committed to supporting and promoting equity and diversity and creating an inclusive working environment for everyone. We believe that when people with different life experiences are involved in decision-making, we deliver better.
We believe having a diverse workforce ensures we connect better with all the different communities and people affected by the climate crisis. This enables us to make better decisions which lead to better outcomes in the work we do through increased creativity, productivity, greater global impact alongside a broader perspective and approach to our work.
We welcome applicants that are diverse in terms of age, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity and perspective. Our goal is for C40 to be an environment where everyone, from any background, can flourish and can be themselves whilst contributing to our mission. If you identify as a person with a disability, we work to provide reasonable appropriate measures and any additional support needed to provide an equitable working experience. If you are living with a disability, chronic illness or neuro diversity please inform us, to provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.
C40 promotes a work culture where staff can input to improve equity, diversity and inclusion through staff-led groups and formal forums. We know that creating our ideal working environment is a learning process and we are committed to the ongoing effort.
C40’s Air Quality Program C40’sAir Quality Program works with city governments at the political and technical level to raise mayors’ ambition, overcome gaps in data and evidence, and design and deliver effective air quality-climate solutions. The C40 Air Quality Program provides a range of support, from deep engagement in pilot cities to technical assistance across a broader group, while connecting cities through peer to peer network sand creating tools and resources available to all cities. The Air Quality Program currently includes two networks, the Air Quality Network, connecting city air quality management staff, and the Green Ports Forum, connecting cities and ports in collaborative efforts to decarbonise supply chains. The Air Quality Program also includes two deeper assistance programs, a global technical assistance initiative that partners with cities in developing and implementing air quality management activities and the African Cities for Clean Air initiative, a regional program supporting African cities in implementing air quality actions.
Position Description The Air Quality Program Officer will be a key member of the air quality team, providing a mix of team coordination, administrative support, and assisting in development of internal and external content such as presentation materials, briefing documents, case studies, infographics, and other information for messaging lessons learned and successes in air quality action in C40 cities. Tasks expected to be undertaken by the Program Officer include: (1) working across the air quality team to ensure coordination across air quality programs and networks as well as with other teams at C40 (2) supporting the Program Director in administrative tasks necessary for successful delivery of the program, and (3) supporting in development and delivery of events and other products, and (4) developing high quality content to disseminate the work of the program and helps cities advance ambitious air quality actions.
- Manage team coordination within and outside of C40, including scheduling meetings and managing schedules, developing agendas, creating meeting summaries, and following up on action items as needed.
- Support the AQ team in reporting on city progress to audiences internal and external to C40, including funders and senior management.
- Support the Senior Manager and Program Managers in delivery of events, webinars, and other outputs as needed.
- Conduct desk research on air quality activities underway in cities including summarising recent advancements in local, national, and international policy as well as in the research community for audiences within and outside C40.
- Support the Program Director and Program leads in creating content for communicating program activities, including creating presentations and briefings.
- Work with AQ team members to take content from C40 Declarations, technical assistance, and C40 networks, and turn into high quality, action-orientated and accessible outputs for the public, including for the C40 Knowledge Hub, that could include: case studies, policy briefs, reports, data portals, videos & webinars, infographics, PowerPoint presentations.
- Support the C40 Declaration Manager in liaising withC40 Communications& Events team and the C40 Knowledge Hub team to support the production of digital communication, media materials, and articles.
- Liaise with external partners to maximise the reach and visibility of C40 knowledge products, in particular exploring how C40 cities can reach cities outside the C40 network.
- Lead on design of knowledge products (with support of a designer where necessary) to ensure content is clear and engaging, suggesting and adopting best practice ideas to maximise engagement with cities.
- cuZlgDw Dmlsbc
- Knowledge or experience working on at least one of the following topics: air quality, public health, environmental science, sustainability, and/or urban planning.
- Excellent organisation skills, with ability to coordinate activities across a complex and international team.
- Experience of communicating technical or complex issues in a simple and engaging way for different audiences.
- Experience working in a content editing role or similar, with a track record of adapting writing and presentations for different media and audiences.
- Ability to work independently to develop innovative knowledge product ideas.
- Strong organisation skills, with ability to manage coordination across large teams and partners, with good attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, specifically MS Word and MS PowerPoint.
- Preferred experience in creating engaging public facing content, including experience with graphics design and programs such as InDesign
- Able to work across a large team on a variety of different topic areas and mediums, as well engaging with other relevant internal teams such as Knowledge Management, Communications and Events.
- Ability to distill key messages of technical work for key audiences in a fast-paced environment, with short-term, competing deadlines.
- Committed to the mission, purpose and values of C40 and its programs, with a desire to capitalise on and be part of the team that impacts the organisation’s future.
- F luency in English essential.
Other Requirements: Applicants must already have the right to work in their country of residence – United Kingdom, South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria, United States and Mexico. C40 is an international organisation, flexibility to occasionally work outside of local business hours is required.
Location: London, Johannesburg, Nairobi, Lagos, Los Angeles, Mexico City, and New York.
Term: Fixed Term Contract until 31 March 2024.
Salary: London – £34,890.00 / Johannesburg – ZAR 401697 / Nairobi – KES 2405696 / Lagos – NGN 9,513,171 / Los Angeles – $40,863.00/ Mexico City – MXN 438046/ New York – $51,892.00
Closing date for receipt of applications is 13 October 2021. C40 reserves the right to close this job opening before the closing date for applications so please do submit applications early.
For any queries, please contact email@example.com.